- Natural Resource Sociology;
- Interdisciplinary Environmental Science;
- Water Resource Management & Climate Adaptation Science;
- Environmental Change, Disturbance & Risk;
- Human-Nature Relationships & Community Wellbeing;
- Mixed Methods Research
My work focuses on the perspectives and actions of people and communities in changing landscapes and social and natural resource conditions. My students and I also explore interactions among scientific researchers from different disciplinary backgrounds as well as the extension of inquiry with stakeholders from beyond science.
Current Research & Engagement Projects
- Assessing Individual and Community Wellbeing Across Landscape Gradients
- Water Reuse and Irrigation in Utah – Socio-Engineering Water Science
- NSF Graduate National Research Traineeship Program at Utah State in Climate Adaptation Sciences USU CAS Program
- iUTAH Water Sustainability Project http://iutahepscor.org
- US EPA Board of Scientific Counselors, Executive Committee and Chair of Sustainable and Healthy Communities Subcommittee
- Ph.D Rural Sociology. Pennsylvania State University (University Park), 2004. Dissertation: Community Response to Forest Disturbance on Alaska’s Kenai Peninsula.
- M.S Geography, University of Colorado (Boulder), 1993.
- B.S. Geography, Northern Arizona University (Flagstaff), 1990.
- International Association for Society and Natural Resources (Treasurer 2018-2020)
- Haeffner M, D Jackson-Smith, CG Flint. 2018. Social position influencing the water perception gap between local leaders and constituents in a socio-hydrological system. Water Resources Research. DOI:10.1002/2017WR021456.
- Hand BK, CG Flint, JA Stanford, CA Frissell, CC Mulhfeld, SP Devlin, BP Kennedy, RL Crabtree, A McKee, G Luikart. 2018. A social–ecological perspective for riverscape management in the Columbia River Basin. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment. 16(S1): S23–S33, doi: 10.1002/fee.1752.
- Mauerhofer V, T Ichinose, BD Blackwell, MR Willig, CG Flint, MS Krause, M Penker. 2017. Underuse of social-ecological systems: A research agenda for addressing challenges to biocultural diversity Land Use Policy. 72:57-64.
- Flint CG, Jones AS, Horsburgh. 2017. Data management dimensions of social water science: The iUTAH experience. Journal of the American Water Resources Association (JAWRA) 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/1752-1688.12568.
- Muhar A, CM Raymond, R van den Born, N Bauer, K Böck, M Braito, A Buijs, CG Flint, WT de Groot, CD Ives, T Mitrofanenko, T Plieninger, C van Riper, C Tucker. 2017. A model integrating social-cultural concepts of nature into frameworks of interaction between social and natural systems. Environmental Planning and Management. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09640568.2017.1327424.
- Yoshida Y, CG Flint. M Dolan. 2017. Farming between love and money: US Midwestern farmers’ human-nature relationships and impacts on watershed conservation. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09640568.2017.1327423.
- Qin H, CG Flint. 2017. Changing community variations in perceptions and activeness related to the spruce bark beetle outbreak on Alaska’s Kenai Peninsula. Sustainability. 9(1):67 doi:10.3390/su9010067.
- Cutcher-Gershenfeld J, KS Baker, N Berente, C Flint, G Gershenfeld, B. Grant, M Haberman, JL King, C Kirkpatrick, B Lawrence, S Lewis, WC Lenhardt, M Mayernik, C Mcelroy, B Mittleman, N Shin, S Stall, S Winter, I Zaslavsky. 2017. Five Ways Consortia Can Catalyze Open Science. Nature. 543(7647). http://www.nature.com/news/five-ways-consortia-can-catalyse-open-science-1.21706
- Flint CG, X Dai, D Jackson-Smith, J Endter-Wada, SK Yeo, R Hale, MK Dolan. 2017. Social and geographic contexts of water concerns in Utah. Society & Natural Resources 30(8):885-902. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08941920.2016.1264653.
- Holyoak G, M Holyoak, CG Flint. 2017. Health vulnerabilities of Utah’s immigrant children: Breaking the cycle. International Journal of Child and Adolescent Health 9(2).
- Rubin L, CG Flint M Pearson, V Johnson, CJ Rowland Hogue. 2017. Community engagement to break the cycle of children’s environmental health vulnerability. International Journal of Child and Adolescent Health 9(2).
- Braito M, K Böck, CG Flint, A Muhar, S Muhar, M Penker. 2017. Human-nature relationships and linkages to environmental behaviour. Environmental Values. 26:365-389.