My research and teaching focus on people’s perspectives and community actions in changing landscapes and social and natural resource conditions. Our team works with researchers from different disciplinary backgrounds and with stakeholders from beyond science. We use a variety of methodological approaches. Currently, we are focusing on water resource management, measuring wellbeing, and interdisciplinary assessments of climate change impacts on multiple uses on public lands in the Intermountain West. I have a particular interest in mountain landscapes and building networks of engaged research and practice on mountain sustainability around the world.
As Director of the Institute for Social Science Research on Natural Resources, I work to extend the Institute’s 50+ years of experience in facilitating systematic and practical research to support natural resource management decisions. See more on ISSRNR
Current Research & Engagement Projects
- Assessing Wellbeing Across Landscape Gradients
- Water Reuse and Irrigation in Utah – Socio-Engineering Water Science
- NSF Graduate Training Program in Climate Adaptation Sciences USU CAS Program
- US EPA Board of Scientific Counselors, Executive Committee & Chair of Sustainable and Healthy Communities Subcommittee
- Advisory Board Member for the Afromontane Research Unit at the QwaQwa Campus of the University of the Free State in South Africa
- Ph.D Rural Sociology. Pennsylvania State University (University Park), 2004.
- M.S Geography, University of Colorado (Boulder), 1993.
- B.S. Geography, Northern Arizona University (Flagstaff), 1990.
- International Association for Society and Natural Resources (Treasurer 2018-2020)
- Koci, KB and CF Flint. Forthcoming 2018. Children’s health and safety risks posed by irrigation water in northern Utah. International Public Health Journal.
- Mayeda A, A Boyd, T Paveglio, C Flint. Forthcoming. Media representations of water issues as health risks. Environmental Communication. https://doi.org/10.1080/17524032.2018.1513054.
- Hale R, CG Flint, D Jackson-Smith, J Endter-Wada. 2018. Integrating human and physical aspects of urban flood hazards. Journal of the American Water Resources Association. 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1111/1752-1688.12676.
- Haeffner M, D Jackson-Smith, CG Flint. 2018. Social position influencing the water perception gap between local leaders and constituents in a socio-hydrological system. Water Resources Research. DOI:10.1002/2017WR021456.
- Hand BK, CG Flint, JA Stanford, CA Frissell, CC Mulhfeld, SP Devlin, BP Kennedy, RL Crabtree, A McKee, G Luikart. 2018. A social–ecological perspective for riverscape management in the Columbia River Basin. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment. 16(S1): S23–S33, doi: 10.1002/fee.1752.
- Mauerhofer V, T Ichinose, BD Blackwell, MR Willig, CG Flint, MS Krause, M Penker. 2017. Underuse of social-ecological systems: A research agenda for addressing challenges to biocultural diversity Land Use Policy. 72:57-64.
- Flint CG, Jones AS, Horsburgh. 2017. Data management dimensions of social water science: The iUTAH experience. Journal of the American Water Resources Association (JAWRA) 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/1752-1688.12568.
- Muhar A, CM Raymond, R van den Born, N Bauer, K Böck, M Braito, A Buijs, CG Flint, WT de Groot, CD Ives, T Mitrofanenko, T Plieninger, C van Riper, C Tucker. 2017. A model integrating social-cultural concepts of nature into frameworks of interaction between social and natural systems. Environmental Planning and Management. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09640568.2017.1327424.
- Yoshida Y, CG Flint. M Dolan. 2017. Farming between love and money: US Midwestern farmers’ human-nature relationships and impacts on watershed conservation. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09640568.2017.1327423.
- Qin H, CG Flint. 2017. Changing community variations in perceptions and activeness related to the spruce bark beetle outbreak on Alaska’s Kenai Peninsula. Sustainability. 9(1):67 doi:10.3390/su9010067.
- Cutcher-Gershenfeld J, KS Baker, N Berente, C Flint, G Gershenfeld, B. Grant, M Haberman, JL King, C Kirkpatrick, B Lawrence, S Lewis, WC Lenhardt, M Mayernik, C Mcelroy, B Mittleman, N Shin, S Stall, S Winter, I Zaslavsky. 2017. Five Ways Consortia Can Catalyze Open Science. Nature. 543(7647). http://www.nature.com/news/five-ways-consortia-can-catalyse-open-science-1.21706
- Flint CG, X Dai, D Jackson-Smith, J Endter-Wada, SK Yeo, R Hale, MK Dolan. 2017. Social and geographic contexts of water concerns in Utah. Society & Natural Resources 30(8):885-902. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08941920.2016.1264653.
- Holyoak G, M Holyoak, CG Flint. 2017. Health vulnerabilities of Utah’s immigrant children: Breaking the cycle. International Journal of Child and Adolescent Health 9(2).
- Rubin L, CG Flint M Pearson, V Johnson, CJ Rowland Hogue. 2017. Community engagement to break the cycle of children’s environmental health vulnerability. International Journal of Child and Adolescent Health 9(2).
- Braito M, K Böck, CG Flint, A Muhar, S Muhar, M Penker. 2017. Human-nature relationships and linkages to environmental behaviour. Environmental Values. 26:365-389.